Pebble team has announced a new product, Pebble Steel, in CES 2014. Pebble Steel is the successor of original Pebble smart watch, although the Pebble team has not expressed any intention to discontinue the original Pebble watch.
If you are surprising how the Pebble Steel is different from the original Pebble watch, here is the answer. In short, the Pebble Steel is a ‘hardware upgrade’ for the original edition. Pebble CEO describes it as a “Premium” version of the original device. Both devices would have same ‘software features’, which means as an owner of original Pebble, you wouldn’t miss any application or feature.
You must be aware of the fact that Pebble team is about to release new firmware update for the Pebble devices, along with a brand new application store for Pebble smartwatches. This store would host watchfaces, Watchapps and Companion apps (Android/iOS apps working with Pebble).
Pebble Steel Features
- Stainless steel body. Sleeker than the original Pebble.
- Display: Corning Gorilla glass with anti-fingerprint coating
- RGB LED light to indicate charge status of the device. This tricolor LED will offer more functionality in coming days.
- Tactile metal buttons
- Ships with two straps: Steel and leather
- Two models: Brushed Stainless Steel and Black Matte.
- 5-7 days battery life, 5ATM Waterproof
- Supports all apps and features of original Pebble device.
Here is a video, by PocketNow, comparing the both devices: