Opera Software’s Opera Mini browser is extremely popular among the mobile users on all leading platforms. It is available for Android, iOS, Java-supported feature phones, BlackBerry, Nokia S60 platform etc. Sadly, the Opera Mini is not available for Windows Phone devices. It is used by over 250 million users worldwide, and has around 12% global market share.
The key feature of Opera Mini is the server-side compression used to reduce data consumption, which results faster browsing even on the slower internet connections.
Opera Mini on Desktop?
Opera Software offers desktop browser for long, which has Opera Mini like data compression feature. So, if you are looking for a way to install Opera Mini on your Windows or Mac computer, you should try the Opera desktop browser. Download it from here, install and turn-on the Turbo mode from main menu.
But, if you want to use the Opera Mini browser on your computer for any specific reason, like for testing your website or app, follow these steps:
- Download and install Java on your computer, if it is not installed on your computer.
- Download the JAR file of Opera Mini from here (select “Opera Mini 8” and click on the “View download link” button).
- Download the latest version of MicroEmulator. Unzip it and open the microemulator.jar file with Java (on Windows, right click on it, select “Open with” in the context menu and choose Java). This should launch the MicroEmulator.
- Now, go to Options > Select device and choose the “Resizable device” option. Provide the desired window size.
- Go to File > Open MIDlet File, and browse the Opera Mini JAR file downloaded earlier.
If everything goes as expected, you should see Opera Mini running in the MicroEmulator.